This course provides attendees with skills to confidently test and fault-find
NBN’s Fibre Optic network across the three different
architectures: TFN, DFN and LFN / MTLFN.
This course is designed for individuals with minimal
experience and ensures that learning outcomes can be applied
immediately to field activities using our advanced real-world
and hands-on learning environments.
On completion, learners will have the confidence to test
and commission the nbnTM Optical network to the published
standards using modern equipment and techniques.
Overview of nbnTM Architectures
- Overview of FTTP – Fibre To The Premise
- Overview of FTTB – Fibre To The Basement
- Overview of FTTN – Fibre To The Node
- Components associated with FTTN architectures
- Service delivery overview for FTTN networks
- Working safely within the telecommunication environment
Overview of Optical Fibre Technology
- Optical fibre safety practices
- Basics of fibre optics – system components and measurements
- Light propagation principles
- Laser transmission system theory
- Fibre attenuation and its causes
- Fibre optic connectors and cleaning
- Evaluation of optical connector quality using video inspection
Acquiring a Suitable and Accurate OTDR Trace
- Introduction to OTDR’s and trace fundamentals
- Index of refraction
- Pulse width selection
- OTDR trace acquisition time
- Testing wavelength selection
- Selecting the most suitable range and resolution setting
- Deadzone effects on an OTDR trace
- Practical exercises and assessment of each of the items
Evaluating overall Link Quality
- Understanding network testing thresholds
- Calculating loss/attenuation budgets
- File naming conventions and trace file formats/structure
- Measuring optical insertion loss
- Using fibre optic testing tools including – VFL, traffic
- Creating nbnTM specific reporting workbooks for the TFN,
DFN, LFN / MTLFN and N2P.
- Using the field emulation simulator to locate successfully
optical fault conditions
- Using supplied trace files to complete three nbnTM network
workbooks – TFN, DFN, LFN / MTLFN and N2P.
- Theoretical assessment
- Practical assessment
DuRATION: 4 Days
Class Size: 12 – 14 Students
Included: All materials used for practical exercises, technical manuals for each attendee, test equipment, emulation environment. 1 week phone support.
Get in Touch
If you’ve got questions or ideas you would like to share, send a message. For anything more specific, please use one of the addresses listed below.
Perpetual Learning Institute
(+61) 413 914 333
enquire about this course
After we get some information from you, we’ll set up a time to discuss your needs in further detail.